Culture

Jordan Davidson

Reasons 2016 Didn’t Suck!

Reasons 2016 Didn’t Suck!

Wow, what a year we’ve had. 2016 has been fraught with political upset and celebrity deaths, but don’t let that fool you, 2016 has actually had some pretty dizzying high points too… Crash is back! It was announced during E3 2016 that our childhood favourite Crash Bandicoot is finally getting the rejuvenation he deserves in […]

Jacob Sloan

The big vinyl revival

The big vinyl revival

In the past few years avid music fans have revived the vinyl market so it is once again considered a mainstream form of music. According to The British Phonographic Industry, 2007 saw the markets lowest point ever with just 205,292 LP sales. This is a black hole level plummet considering 1994’s 1,453,718 LP vinyl sales. […]

Lee Hawthorn

Being Human 2016: Refusing to be Realistic Preview

Being Human 2016: Refusing to be Realistic Preview

According to the Being Human festival programme, ‘desire is one of the things that make us human.’ Advertisers attempt to appease desire with commodity solutions but humans have always sought to achieve and accumulate more. Back in 1516 this was named ‘utopia’ by Thomas More. Utopian desire invites us to demand what others might consider […]

Jordan Davidson

Tyneside Cinema snatches up North East Equality Award for dementia friendly programme

Tyneside Cinema snatches up North East Equality Award for dementia friendly programme

The Tyneside Cinema has won the North East Equality Award for its innovative programme designed to deliver a dementia friendly cinema going experience. The Newcastle based independent cinema screens monthly musicals featuring its trademark friendly atmosphere and a number of specially trained staff also known as ‘Dementia Friends’. Audience Outreach Officer, Chris Anderson, explained that their […]

Stacey McMaster

Top 10 places to go on Bonfire Night in the North East

Top 10 places to go on Bonfire Night in the North East

Remember, remember the fifth of November and here at Northern Lights we certainly have. However with so much on offer in the North East it can be very hard to decide just where to go. We’ve got our heads together and came up with the top ten places to go on this special night.

Tynemouth Fireworks and Bonfire. At Tynemouth Cricket Club they are letting rip this year with all sorts of acts as well as fireworks and the traditional Bonfire. You can see fire breathers, stilt walkers, live music, food traders, a bar, fairground rides at a very reasonable price; £5 adults, £2 per child from 5pm onwards […]

Siarlot Lloyd

NaNoWriMo: My experiences with “the fun, seat of your pants approach to creative writing”.

NaNoWriMo: My experiences with “the fun, seat of your pants approach to creative writing”.

Even though I describe myself as a writer, procrastinator is probably a more accurate descriptor. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve started a story, only to either be distracted by another idea 6000 words in, or become so bogged down in ideas for different ways the story could go that it never gets written. Then I gave NaNoWriMo a try.

Even though I describe myself as a writer, procrastinator is probably a more accurate descriptor. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve started a story, only to either be distracted by another idea 6000 words in, or become so bogged down in ideas for different ways the story could go that it never […]

Charlotte O'Neill

Beamish: travelling back to childhood

Beamish: travelling back to childhood

My trip to Beamish, the open-air museum, where the world is stuck in 1913, not only turned back the years for the North East but also for myself. Walking around the museum and being taught lessons from the past with your grandparents made me feel two decades younger. Although I towered over the other grandchildren […]

Samantha Teasdale

Review – Birmingham Royal Ballet presents The Tempest

Review – Birmingham Royal Ballet presents The Tempest

The Tempest, performed by Birmingham Royal Ballet, came to the Sunderland Empire Theatre on Thursday October 20 for it’s opening night and did not disappoint. 

The Tempest, reportedly Shakespeare’s last play that he wrote alone, was written in 1610-11 and was performed in front of James I for his daughter Princess Elizabeth’s marriage. The theatre performance is a different presentation of his work as it is spoken through ballet. The Tempest can be described as one of Shakespeare’s most difficult […]

Jordan Davidson

Our Culture Walk Through Newcastle-Gateshead for the Great Exhibition of the North

Our Culture Walk Through Newcastle-Gateshead for the Great Exhibition of the North

Newcastle and Gateshead have been selected to host the ‘Great Exhibition of the North’ in 2018, winning the bid over three other shortlisted bidders. The exhibition will be held over 77 days, showcasing art, design and innovation from the North of England. With this in mind we have come up with our own culture walk […]

Ryan Prentice

KingCons bring Game of Thrones stars, Super Mario and more to the Stadium of Light

KingCons bring Game of Thrones stars, Super Mario and more to the Stadium of Light

King Con’s first year in Sunderland turns out to be a success as thousands flood to see special guests at the Stadium of Light.  

After outgrowing their previous venue in Durham, King Con was confirmed to be at the Stadium of Light this year, and spread over a weekend full of panels, competitions and more. Arriving on Saturday I was met by some of the latest and classic characters, first of all a Storm Trooper followed by […]